Sunday, May 8, 2011

Review for Author Lois Lowery


Many people read this clasic 1993 science fiction novel sometimes during their school years. If you havn't read this work yet, I highly suggest you do. This novel is set in a future society which is at first presented as a utopian society and gradually appears more and more dystopian. The novel follows a boy named Jonas through the twelfth year of his life. In his society, everything is planned for a person by a group called the Elders. They choose what job you will take on for most of your life, they will choose who you will "marry" if you send in a application, and they will choose how many children you will be givin. Yes, that's right, givin. Jonas's perfect world is turned upside down when the Giver gives him memories of a happier time when family and love actually existed. But does it still exist today? To find the answer to this, Jonas will have to search for it. I really enjoyed reading this novel, but the ending of it used to bug me a lot. The first time I read this book, it was many years ago, but now after rereading it, I find the ending more to my liking. This may be one of those books where you must reread in order to grasp everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts!